Tuesday, September 21, 2010

What? Where? When? How?

I don´t belieeeve it! Summer over already! It just can´t be. It feels like a week ago I was girding my loins for my daughters´ 3 month summer break, and now they have already been back at school two weeks. Ever feel like on the remote control of life the fast forward button has become jammed? I find it so scarey . I wake up and think "oh bugger, Monday" then it seems no time at all I am saying "Yeah- Friday!" Is this a new thing? Has the hole in the ozone layer caused time to speed up? Is the earth spinning faster on its axis? Are there still 24 hours in a day, 60 minutes in an hour and 60 seconds in a minute?
I seem to spend my days rushing; from the minute I charge out of bed in the morning, until the minute I throw myself back into it at night. I have quizzed my friends about this and they too seem to be suffering from this Fast Forward Phenomenon. So without further ado ( no time for further adoing these days) STOP.
When was the last time you curled up on the sofa and read a book or a magazine? When was the last time you sat and stared aimlessly out of the window? When was the last time you put a face mask on ? When was the last time you painted your toe nails, just because you wanted to, not because you had a function to attend? When was the last time you stopped to stroke your cat, dog or vietnamese potbellied pig?
Life is full of busy and ,if we have any free time, we fill it with busy.Perhaps if we slow down, life will slow down too. What is the point of racing through life- because at the end is the  finishing post, one I am in no hurry to reach first!

This is one of my favourite slooooooow recipes. I am sure I have pinched it from someone (sorry). It is wonderfully easy to prepare, delightfully low maintenance to cook and a dream to enjoy as a relaxed supper with friends.

SLOW COOKED LAMB (serves 6)

Ingredients:-

1 large leg of lamb
salt and pepper
olive oil
3 red onions peeled and quartered
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced
2 handfuls of mixed fresh herbs (thyme , rosemary and bay) If you can´t get fresh use 2 bouquet garnis
4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
1 celeriac, peeled and cut into chunks
6 large carrots, scrubbed and halved
3 parsnips, scrubbed and halved
1 bottle of white wine.

Preheat your oven to 170 degrees C. In the largest casserole pot you can find, fry your well seasoned lamb in olive oil until it is browned all over. Add the onions and garlic and continue to fry for a few more minutes. Add all the veg, herbs, wine and add the same amount of water as wine. Tightly cover top with kitchen foil and bake in the oven for 5 hours.
To serve- place the whole pot on the table and you and your friends dig in, using crusty bread to mop up all the delicious juices.

No comments:

Post a Comment